Best Indestructible Dog Crate- VarioCage Double Crash Tested Dog Crate Review
September is a month that always seems like limbo. The last vacation was eons ago and time is not helping either by crawling its way ahead.
But before you know, it will be time to head out on that much-awaited annual holiday and if you are parents to the four-legged kind, then it brings with it, some added responsibilities.
Each year, thousands of pet-owners are on the fence about leaving their pet back home, boarding the pet, or traveling with them. The last option is usually the least stressful for both parents and pets. However, it is not easy by a long shot.
With air-travel becoming riskier than ever, most vacationers prefer to drive to their destinations, lock, stock, and pet in tow. But, as discovered recently by a pet-owner, even that isn’t as safe as you’d assume.
If you are like most others, you’d rely on pet restraints that ‘claim’ to keep your pets secured and safe during travel. But when Lindsey Wolko’s Cocker Spaniel Maggie, had a near-miss death experience and she was thrown to the back of the front seat, Lindsey set up a non-profit called Center for Pet Safety.
And she soon discovered that the pet-safety equipment industry is one major sham, with substandard and downright flimsy products being peddled as the ‘Fort Knox’ of Pet travel.
The perils of untested pet cages and harnesses!
You’d be shocked to know that very few of the pet safety equipment available currently on the market are tested for effectiveness. None of the safety claims are verified and, in case of any untoward incident or injury to your pets, you’d have to foot the expenses out of your own pocket.
Oh yes, harness manufacturers are not held responsible because, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, pet products are not included within the ambit of consumer products.
This brings us to the importance of using only crash proof dog crates for transporting your pets.
What are crash tested dog transport cages for cars?
The name is pretty self-explanatory. A crash-tested pet cage has been subject to crash tests (using dummy dogs of course) in different scenarios (frontal and rear collisions, drop tests that simulate a car turning turtle after a collision). It is designed with a bevy of features that not only keep your pet safe, in the aftermath of a collision but also provides them with an emergency escape route.
With load-tested straps, dog travel cages for cars will prevent your pets from being thrown inside the vehicle as a powerful projectile.
But with enough unscrupulous manufacturers out there, it is crucial to make the right choice when it comes to even crash-tested cages.
MIM Variocage is currently rated as one of the pet cages for cars that are proven to withstand even the most severe types of collisions while keeping your pets safe. It is available in a wide range of sizes and can accommodate pets in all sizes, shapes, and weight categories. In fact, we think it’s the best crash-tested dog crate.
The Variocage Double Crash Tested Dog Crate Review
The first thing that you’d need to know before buying a crash-proof dog crate, is the appropriate size of the cage for your dog.
As scientifically proven, it’s always better to have just the right amount of space for the pet to feel free in the cage. There is no need to go for a larger sized travel cage for dogs that allows your pet to move around, during travel.
Conversely, you should not buy a travel dog cage that is not sufficient for a pet. It should never feel cramped, else it may result in an injury.
The Variocage crash-tested cages are available in four different adjustable models (Small, Large, Max, and X-Large) in a whopping, 14 sizes. A few popular versions are called Variocage XL, Variocage Compac, and Variocage Minimax.
The cages are also available in Single and double varieties. The double dog cages for cars allows you to accommodate two dogs by using a removable divider in the middle of the cage and is perfect if you have more than one pet.
Life becomes a lot simpler if you can assemble a car dog cage within minutes of unboxing it, without having to make modifications or drilling holes.
- Easy assembly: The Variocage is designed for easy assembly and will be ready in as little as 10 minutes. It features telescopic tubes, individual panels that are used for the roof and the floor, and all necessary hardware, along with detailed assembly instructions in the form of high-quality pictures.
- ASTM A366 gauge Steel Construction: Unlike flimsy carrier cages, the Variocase crash-tested dog cage is made of ASTM A366 gauge powder-coated steel which offers unsurpassed durability and protection. It is an extremely durable cage that will, in all probability, last for years.
- Tested Rigorously: Each Variocage crash-tested cage is subject to rigorous testing at the Technical Research Institute of Sweden. The cages are subject to front collisions, rear collisions, and a drop test, to ensure that the occupants of the cage remain perfectly safe and it performs as advertised.
- Crumple Zones: Cages that are made of rigid poles are not designed to absorb the force of an impact. The Variocage crash-tested dog cage, on the other hand, features dedicated crumple zones along with the telescopic poles. This allows the crate to absorb the impact, keeping your pet safe.
- Gas Hydraulic Motion Springs: The doors of the cage are fitted with gas hydraulic motion springs, allowing you to remove and close them with ease.
- Escape Hatch: Many a time, after a collision, it becomes almost impossible to safely extract the pet. The doors and windows of the vehicle may be jammed or you may have misplaced the key to the cage. The Variocage features an escape hatch that can be used to remove the pet safely from the cage and the car. However, your dog will find this to be an escape-proof dog crate.
- Tie-Down Straps: Unsecured cargo in the back of the car can become a projectile that can hurt you in case of a collision. To prevent this from happening, the tie-down straps in the Variocage can be used to secure this safest dog crate to anchor points in the vehicle. At the same time, the straps are engineered to allow the crumple zone to work uninterrupted, keeping your pet safe.
- Adjustable Depth: The depth of the cage can be adjusted allowing you to tailor it according to your car. This ensures that the cage fits perfectly even if you change cars.
- Additional Features: To ensure that your dog doesn’t play Houdini during travel, the Variocage features a lock and key system that allows you to use a padlock. Also, the package includes a ribbed rubber mat that is resistant to pet urine and dust.
- The ONLY Dog Transport Cage to Pass Front, Rear & Roll-Over Crash Tests
- Proven Performance in Europe for Nearly a Decade
- 14 Adjustable Sizes to Best Fit Most Cats, Dogs and Vehicles
Is this a safe indestructible dog crate?
With a proven track record and an immaculate reputation in the UK for the past decade, Variocage is undoubtedly, the best crash-tested dog cage that money can buy – in fact, it’s nearly an indestructible dog crate. It is incredibly safe and worth every penny that you’d spend on it.
What will you get in return? The peace of mind and assurance that your pet is as safe and secure as you are and you can concentrate on driving without having to worry about your pet running amok, sniffing for a hidden treasure under the driver’s seat.
The Final Verdict
If you are serious about the safety of your pet during travel, then the Variocage is your best choice. It is proven, tested, and recommended by the Center for Pet Safety.
Ensure that you select the right sized cage though. Here are the links to the various models:
Last update on 2021-03-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API