Purchasing your own dog clippers is a great way to save time and money by avoiding trips to the professional groomer. When deciding to keep the grooming at home, it is important to get educated on the best clippers. Every dog’s needs are different, and there is a big difference between clippers made for humans and those made for your dog. Finding high quality clippers that are made for a dog’s unique coat is important for the do-it-yourself dog groomer. In this article we help you explore the best dog clippers for your pooch.
1. What Are Dog Clippers?
Dog clippers are an electronic device designed to shave the fur or hair off a dog (or cat).
2. Can You Use Clippers Designed for Human Hair on a Dog?
Not usually. Clippers made for human hair have less powerful motors and therefore cannot usually handle dogs’ coats. Conversely, dog clippers often cut too rough for human hair.
3. Where Can You Buy the Best Dog Clippers?
You can find dog clippers a pet supply stores, online, or at grooming supply stores.
4. What Is Most Important When Shopping for the Best Dog Clippers?
For most people, there are a few common features that are important to keep in mind. Comfort for the handler and the dog is one, and durability and strength is another. Warranties are important for many as the best dog clippers are not usually cheap.
5. What Are SPM?
Pay attention to SPM (strokes per minute) as this will tell you how powerful the motor is.
6. What Are the Different Types of Clipper Blades?
Blade types can vary, with ceramic blades being the longest lasting, titanium blades falling in the middle, and stainless steel blades being the least expensive and quickest to dull.
7. Are Cordless or Corded Models Betters?
The decision of whether to go corded or cordless is important, but this is largely decided by preference. If you choose a cordless model, be sure it has a good enough battery to do the work. If you choose a cord, be sure it is long enough to stay out of your way.
8. Is It Really Important That Clippers Are Quiet with Low Vibration?
Yes! Dogs are very sensitive, and grooming can create stress. The less noise, movement, and heat, the less stress the dog will feel.
How We Reviewed
The following products were reviewed based on the following parameters: Features, Pros & Cons, and Warranty. We scoured the experiences of professionals and DIY dog groomers alike to narrow down the dozens of available clippers and provide you with a list of the best dog clippers out there. We considered dog breeds, coats, and temperaments, as well as individual home grooming needs in suggesting the best dog clippers to you.
FOCUSPET Professional Corded Dog Grooming Clippers
- 【SAFE & EFFORTLESS CLIPPER】 --FOCUSPET pet grooming clippers is the best choice for...
- 【3mm/6mm/9mm/12mm/15mm COMBS】 --This professional dog grooming kit allows you to cut...
- 【QUIET & LOW VIBRATION】 -- The motor generates low noise (around 50dB.) and low...
The FOCUSPET Professional Corded Dog Grooming Clippers come in a kit with a grooming comb, 2 scissors, and a cleaning brush. They have a high-quality ceramic blade and four adjustable combs that range from 3mm-15mm. This is a corded model, but at 9 feet, the cord allows for plenty of movement. The 12V motor operates quietly with low vibration and 5 speeds.
The FOCUSPET Professional Corded Dog Grooming Clippers carry an 18-month warranty.
- Ceramic blade is long lasting
- Quiet, low vibration
- Does not work well with thick or long coats
- Cheap construction
Sminiker Professional Rechargeable Cordless Grooming Clippers
- Heavy-duty gear for proper powerful cut, horse grooming clippers with stable and steady...
- Titanium blade combining with the ceramic movable blade for efficient and long term...
- New user friendly, we provide3-6-9-12mm guide combs for your reference . Now you can...
The Sminiker Professional Rechargeable Cordless Grooming Clippers is designed for home and professional use. It cuts accurately and quickly, comes with a cleaning brush, power adapter, 4 adjustable combs ranging from 3mm-12mm, and a sharp and adjustable titanium blade. This battery-operated model requires 5 hours to charge for 70 minutes of use.
Sminiker Professional Rechargeable Cordless Grooming Clippers come with a two-year satisfaction guarantee.
- Cuts fast and accurate
- Adjustable combs
- Low noise
- Takes 5 hours to charge fully
- Basic clippers with no extras in a kit
- Short battery life overall
Andis Super AGR+ Vet Pak
- Designed for heavy-duty use.
- Runs continuously for 1 hour with a fully charged battery pack.
- Cool operation without fans.
The Andis Super AGR+ Vet Pak is a single-speed cordless (or corded with Andis cord pack purchase), heavy-duty, vet grade set of clippers designed for intensive use. It’s ergonomic, anti-slip grip helps you get a precise cut. This clipper comes with a detachable ceramic edge blade and accepts other universal blades so you can customize or swap them out when the blade gets dull.
The Andis Super AGR+ Vet Pak offers a 12-month limited manufacturer warranty.
- Made for intensive use
- Ergonomic handle with anti-slip grip
- Ceramic Edge Blade
- Heats up quickly
- Large for small hands
Bojafa Dog Grooming Clippers
- ★【Complete Home Dog Grooming Tools Kit】: 1 x Pet clippers, 1 x AC adapter,1 x...
- ★【Low Vibration, Low Noise and Light Weight】: Working noise about 50db,which helps...
- ★【Cordless and Quiet Silent Dog Cat Grooming Clippers】: Two working modes: Cordless...
home or professional use, the Bojafa Dog Grooming Clippers feature a great rechargeable lithium-ion battery that will last 3 hours after a 5 hour charge. The company advertises an always-sharp titanium blade and 4 attachment combs that vary from 3mm-12mm in length. The motor is high-power, yet quiet with low vibration.
The Bojafa Dog Grooming Clippers feature a two-year warranty.
- Long battery life at 3 hours per charge
- High power motor
- Quiet and low vibration
- Basic set; no oil or cleaning brush
- May get hung up on thick or long fur
- Manual reported as difficult to read
Wahl Motion Lithium Ion Cord/Cordless
- The Motion Animal Clipper from Wahl Professional Animal is ideal for clipping and trimming...
- The clipper offers Constant Speed Control which provides constant torque to power through...
- A traffic light LED multi-level battery capacity display gives a quick visual indication...
The Wahl Motion Lithium Ion Cord/Cordless clippers can be used as cordless or corded while charging, although it only takes an hour to charge. These clippers warn you when the battery is running low with a green, yellow, or red indicator light. It has self sharpening blades, is lightweight, and has a special grip removable handle. It stays quiet and cool even though the power is decent and has 6 different comb guides for different lengths between 3mm and 25mm and a 5 in 1 blade set sizes #9-#40. These clippers come with a comb, scissors, instructions, a cleaning brush, oil and a storage case.The only consistent complaints about this model is that if it is dropped or intensely used, it seems the internal components will come loose.
The Wahl Motion Lithium Ion Cord/Cordless comes with a one-year warranty and a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
- Cordless or corded
- Best variety for lengths and blade sizes
- Quickly charges (1 hour)
- Very comfortable to hold
- May be complicated for beginners
- Blades dull quickly
- Internal wiring rattles loose leading to failure
Andis ProClip Super 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clippers
- Cool and quiet running , Volts - 120 V
- Perfect for all coats and breeds.
- Detachable blade design for ease of changing and cleaning.
The Andis ProClip Super 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clippers have two speeds: high and low. They are designed for heavy use. These clippers are recommended by professionals as some of the best and work for almost all coat types and styles. These clippers are quick and efficient and advertise to be very quiet and cool, although some users report that the clippers heat up quickly.
Andis ProClip Super 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clippers carry a 12-month limited warranty.
- Recommended by grooming professionals
- Works on all dogs, coats, and styles
- Powerful motor
- Very comfortable to hold
- Moderately expensive
- Heats up quickly
- No accessories in the set; one blade size only
Oster A5 2-Speed Professional Clippers
- Animal clippers deliver more strokes per minute and a wider blade sweep for faster...
- Powerful, heavy-duty universal motor delivers 2 speeds: 3,000 SPM and 4,000 SPM
- Clipper is ideal for grooming dogs, cats, horses, and livestock. Compatible with Oster A5...
The Oster A5 2-Speed Professional Clippers have two speeds: low 3000 SPM and high 4000 SPM. The motor can handle thick coats, but is a bit heavier than single-speed clippers. These are durable and long-lasting and work great as base clippers as they are customizable.
The detachable blade can be replaced with an identical one when it gets dull or a better blade as it is compatible with all Oster A5 blades. It has an easy grip handle which is great, because it is heavy. These clippers are perfect for one dog, but not for intensive use as they may heat up over time.
The Oster A5 2-Speed Professional Clippers offers a one-year warranty.
- Easy to customize with blades that can be switched
- Works on dense coats
- Quiet and powerful
- No extras; base clippers only
- Heat up quickly
- Fairly heavy
Casfuy 2-Speed Professional Rechargeable Cordless Pet Grooming Clippers
The Casfuy 2-Speed Professional Rechargeable Cordless Clippers have ceramic/stainless a steel blade in 4 adjustable sizes. Its battery takes 3 hours to charge on smart charge and offers 5 hours of cordless use. The ergonomic design is quiet and lightweight.
Casfuy 2-Speed Professional Rechargeable Cordless Clippers come with a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty and a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Great battery life
- Ergonomic and lightweight
- Requires frequent cleaning
- Pieces can be difficult to lock in place
- Blade cannot be replaced
You get what you pay for, so it is not surprising that our recommendation for the best dog clippers is for the more expensive professional grade clippers. The investment is worth it in the long run as the cheaper clippers will need to be replaced frequently, leading to higher expenses over time. We would love to recommend the Wahl Motion Lithium Ion Cord/Cordless as the best dog clippers available.
They offer so many features important to dog groomers including a variety of functions, a great battery life, power, and comfort. However, the failure of internal components combined with a high budget is too much for most people to deal with. If you are handy or know a repairman, these may be the best dog clippers for you. If you would like something that is similar in function, go for the Oster A5 2-Speed Professional Clippers. You may need to customize them a bit, but they are a much lower starting expense and far more durable for those tough coats.
Last update on 2021-03-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API