If you have pets along with allergies or any respiratory issues at all, then you certainly know how important it is to own a good vacuum. With so many different brands and types of vacuums to choose from, however, picking the perfect one can be tricky. Not all vacuums were designed for homes with pets, so it is important to look for units that can clean up pet hair and dander without getting clogged or breaking down. The Shark pet vacuum is specifically designed for pet owners who want a clean home free of allergens, dirt, and debris.
In this review, we offer up a thorough evaluation of the Shark pet vacuum alongside similar coverage of competitive vacuums available on the market today.
What Is the Shark Pet Vacuum?
The Shark Pet Vacuum is a powerful vacuum that effectively removes dust, dirt, and hair shed by pets and also helps to reduce allergens and debris lying deep in carpets and upholstery. There are several different versions of the Shark pet vacuum available, and the right choice for you will depend on your exact goals, budget, and other factors.
Some vacuum models work best for large spaces while others work really well for smaller, more cramped spaces. Others are aimed at removing allergens caused by dust, debris or animal fur with maximum effectiveness. These vacs are great options for anyone who suffers from allergies or asthma and needs a good vacuum to keep irritants under control.
Shark’s full-sized, 2-in-1 powered lift-away upright vacuum comes with a detachable canister for portable cleaning. This manufacturer’s powered lift-away technology allows you to lift the canister away so you can deep clean hard-to-reach areas while still delivering power to keep the brush roll spinning. This vacuum has a sealed system with a HEPA filter to trap allergens and dust, and we appreciated both the advanced swivel steering and the LED lights on the hand vac and nozzle,
Easy-access fingertip controls allow easy powering of this unit either on or off as well as quick switches between this vac’s hard floor and carpet modes. The attachment Shark labels its “Hard Floor Hero” works great for picking up debris and dusting your bare floors, whereas the TruePet motorized brush puts deep cleaning power right in the palm of your hand.
Based on our extensive research, you can expect to pay a price in the $200-to-$300 range for an excellent, highly durable pet vacuum. If your needs are a bit less intensive, other options on the list we present below are available for substantially less.
How It Compares
We picked a few similar products available on the market to see how they compare to the Shark pet vacuum we’ve chosen to feature.
- Bissell Pet Hair Eraser
- Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind Bagless Corded Upright Vacuum
- Dirt Devil Razor Pet Bagless Multi Floor Corded Upright Vacuum
- Powered Lift-Away: extended reach for stairs and more
- Shark's original full-sized Powered Lift-Away . The canister detaches to deep-clean...
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology and a HEPA filter trap dust and allergens inside...
Ease of Use
The Shark pet vacuum allows for extremely easy cleaning, no matter what the size and layout of your home happen to be. The detachable canister gives you a slim and sleek unit that can fit into even the tightest of spaces. With the handy LED lights on both the hand vac and nozzle, you can often see any dust or pet hair in problem areas and make certain that you do not miss this debris.
This model’s intuitive, easy-to-use design also helps make it highly effective. With the LED lights, you can be confident that all debris and dirt is lifted from your floors when you vacuum. It also comes with the Shark Hard Floor Hero attachment, which works great for picking up debris on bare hardwood floors. Inside the canister are two foam filters that keep dust and allergens from escaping back into the air you breathe.
This powerful vacuum not only works like a charm; it’s great looking, too. The detachable canister is easy to take in and out so that you can clean those hard-to-reach places. Everything about this vacuum was created with your health and convenience in mind, and it almost makes keeping your home dirt- and allergen-free a pleasant part of your routine
When you purchase a Shark pet vacuum, you are eligible for a VIP lifetime guarantee. If the unit itself or parts are deemed defective, you can get replacement components as long as you own the original model. This coverage does not apply to normal wear and tear over time or any kind of improper, non-recommended use of your vacuum
- Detachable canister allows you to get into hard-to-reach places around your home
- LED lights help illuminate dirt and debris for more complete cleaning
- Comes with an excellent hard floor-specific attachment
- One of the more pricey options on this list due to its durable construction and advanced features
- Tangle-free brush roll, specialized pet tools - remove embedded pet hair everywhere
- NEW pet turboeraser tool, new snap on handle- 2in1 pet brush, brush on/off for scatter...
- 8.5Amps, cleaning path: 12.375in, hose length 8ft,
Ease of Use
This Bissell unit is an incredibly easy vacuum to operate and maneuver. It comes with a full set of tools that assist you in thoroughly removing embedded pet hair and dirt from all areas in your home. With this vac’s swivel steering, you can easily steer around furniture in the home. You also get a quick-release wand that easily disconnects from the vacuum body with the push of a button. This array of handy, interchangeable, one-click tools is a very strong aspect of this product’s overall value.
With its many tools and that quick-release wand, the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser is suitable for cleaning any area of your home. You can also feel confident that the SmartSeal allergen system will help keep dust and allergens from releasing back into the air. This vac also features a “cyclonic pet hair spooling system” that is designed to trap and separate both pet and human hair from dirt. This contributes to a quicker, less messy experience when you need to empty the unit
While this vacuum is a great option that can be extremely effective in removing dirt and debris in most housing situations, it does not have a detachable canister like those found on some higher-end vacs. This can make it more challenging to reach tight spots with the main part of the unit. That being said, the quick-release wand can often reach those hard-to-reach spots, and you also get a set of well-designed tools that will help you get the job done.
This Bissell cleaning machine comes with a 5-year limited warranty. While this is quite a large amount of time for you to feel secure, it’s hard to beat the VIP lifetime warranty that backs the Shark pet vacuum. The Bissell warranty covers any defective pieces, assuming that damage hasn’t been caused by abnormal use or normal wear and tear.
- Comes with a versatile set of attachable tools
- Suitable for cleaning dirt, debris, and pet hair from just about anywhere
- A SmartSeal allergen system prevents dust and allergens from being released back into the air
- Unique pet hair spooling system makes cleanup far easier
- Swivel steering allows you to easily maneuver this vac throughout your home
- Does not have a detachable canister, so tool use is often required for thorough cleaning in tight areas
- Under 19 pounds light and easy to use with thorough cleaning power
- 5 position carpet height adjustment adjust as needed to clean all flooring types easily...
- Folding Handle makes storage a snap, ideal for small storage spaces
Ease of Use
This Hoover WindTunnel pet vac helps you manage unruly pet hair, dirt, and debris with ease. Simply choose the carpet height, turn on the vacuum and go. Once you’re finished cleaning, you can use the cord rewind that quickly retracts the cord, saving you from dealing with a tangled mess. With the easy-to-clean, air-powered hand tool, you can easily clean tight spaces.
With WindTunnel technology, dirt and debris are trapped and channeled into the dirt cup to minimize any scattering or release of debris back into the air. There are five carpet settings to choose from, so no matter how deep your carpet is, you can depend on getting a deep clean. The included hand tool does a solid, thorough cleaning job as well.
For a lower-priced pet vacuum option, the design is admirable. Although it is a somewhat bulky unit, it is extremely lightweight, making it an ergonomic option that allows you to move freely and fluidly throughout your house as you vacuum. This vacuum is a good choice for those who have limited storage space, too, because its folding handle makes it more compact when not in use. The retracting cord is a great feature that we’d like to see on many other appliances and devices.
This product comes with a limited 2-year warranty. You are protected from defects for two years, provided that there has not been any improper use or normal wear and tear over time.
- At under 19 pounds, a light and ergonomic option
- Adjustability for 5 different carpet depths
- Folding handle makes storage a breeze
- Long, 25′ cord retracts with a quick tap of the pedal
- Air-powered hand tool is great for picking up pet hair
- Somewhat bulky, making it difficult to squeeze into tight spaces
- Powerful No Loss of Suction*
- 10ft. Extended Reach Hose - with removable cleaning wand
- Spin4Pro Premium Pet Brushroll - for powerful carpet and hard floor cleaning
Ease of Use
With its 10-foot, extended-reach hose and removable cleaning wand, reaching just about any area in your home for a good cleaning becomes simple if you own this affordable Dirt Devil pet vacuum. This also helps make cleaning stairs and furniture easier, which is especially helpful if your pets tend to get on the furniture often. With the bonus tool pack, you can easily vacuum any area of your house. Swivel steering and a light-weight frame make maneuvering this vacuum extremely easy and comfortable.
The Spin4Pro premium pet brush roll on this vac is designed to clean and remove pet hair effectively not only from carpet, but from hard floors as well. This vacuum has powerful suction power, which makes it capable of leaving no dirt or debris left behind. The “turbo claw” pet tool will tackle even the most stubborn dirt and pet hair on your upholstery and stairs with ease.
This lightweight vacuum design will make vacuuming less tiresome. It comes in a cool red color, which stands out against your basic vacuum design. There isn’t much this vacuum cannot do. The swivel head allows you to move easily throughout the home and reach around corners with ease. For tough-to-reach spots, you can use the 10-foot extended reach hose, a removable cleaning wand, or a tool from the included bonus pack. There is no removable canister to allow the greatest possible mobility here, however, and that is one of the few downsides we found notable.
You are covered by a limited warranty for any defective parts associated with the unit. This does not include any improper use of the vacuum or normal wear and tear that happens over time.
- A 10-foot, extended-reach hose and removable cleaning wand combine for great cleaning versatility
- The Spin4Pro brush roll gives you a powerful carpet & hard floor cleaning weapon
- The bonus tool pack includes a 2-in-1 crevice & dusting tool as well as a powered stair-and-upholstery tool
- Swivel steering
- Low-profile design
- Turbo Claw pet tool works well on furniture and stairs
- Does not have a removable canister, so may be challenging to clean very tight spaces
The Shark pet vacuum earned a full 5 stars on our rating scale, and for good reason. It is incredibly easy to use, and with the detachable canister, you can squeeze through even the tightest spaces around your home. Another feature that really stands out on the Shark pet vacuum is its LED lighting system. With this feature, it is nearly impossible to miss any spots of dirt, debris or pet hair in areas you are focused on cleaning. Although it is a little pricier than some other models, this is an excellent choice if you want to remove pet hair and other debris with great efficiency all throughout your home.