Many dog breeds love the outdoors, and sometimes nothing can be more relaxing than snoozing while the birds are chirping and the breeze is softly blowing through the trees. Some dogs love taking a relaxing nap outside, and all dogs should get plenty of time in the sun and outside world. This is why getting an outdoor dog bed is a great option for your pet.
The best outdoor dog beds are made from breathable fabrics and are elevated. The elevation keeps insects and dirt off your dog and protects them from pavement or concrete that can get too hot in the summer.
Related Read: Bolster Dog Bed Review
1. What Is an Outdoor Dog Bed?
An outdoor dog bed is designed to provide a safe and comfortable place for your dog to sleep outside. They are built to handle weather conditions, while an indoor bed would quickly fall apart and not hold up in the weather.
2. Why Is an Elevated Bed Important For Outside?
There are several reasons why you should make sure the outdoor bed you’re purchasing for your dog is elevated. It keeps your dog out of the dirt, which keeps them cleaner. An elevated bed keeps them off the concrete or pavement, which can get dangerously hot in the summer months. It also keeps insects off your pet too.
There are places where fire ants are a problem and you certainly do not want your dog exposed to them if at all possible. Some elevated beds are also designed to help dogs with joint issues.
Related Read: Top 7 Best Orthopedic Dog Bed Options
3. Do They Make Outdoor Dog Beds Portable?
Yes! Some people love taking their dogs camping with them or take their dogs on a road trip. Purchasing an outdoor dog bed that is portable is an important feature for some. They design some outdoor dog beds with the adventurer in mind.
4. Where Can You Buy an Outdoor Dog Bed?
Large pet retail chains like PetSmart and Petco could carry outdoor dog beds. They are also available on Amazon and other online retailers.
How We Reviewed
We invest time in reviewing outdoor dog beds to create this unbiased list of the best models available. We looked at the features, warranty, and the pros and cons of each to bring you the top outdoor dog beds on the market. Our goal is to give you a reliable source of information and clear reviews so you can choose the best bed for your dog.
What We Reviewed
- Furhaven Pet Outdoor Mattress
- PawHut Elevated Cooling Dog Bed Cot with Canopy
- Gen7Pets Cool Air Trailblazer Pet Cot
- Etna Waterproof Pet Retreat Portable Dog House
- Coolaroo Elevated Cooling Pet Bed
- Kuranda Aluminum Outdoor Dog Bed
- Pawhut Elevated Dog Bed/Pet Cot
Furhaven Pet Outdoor Mattress
Furhaven’s outdoor dog mattress lies on the ground and is fluffy, soft, and comfortable for your dog. It’s a fiber pillow filled bed. It has a water-resistant base which is important. It also has a removable zippered cover for easy cleaning. This bed would not hold up in all types of weather but would be good for an outdoor shelter or your garage.
- This bed is a fiber pillow type bed, built for comfort
- The Furhaven Pet Bed has a water-resistant base
- The bed has a zippered cover for easy cleaning
- This bed’s construction would not hold up well in all types of weather
PawHut Elevated Cooling Dog Bed Cot with Canopy
The PawHut Elevated Cooling dog bed is a cot style bed with a canopy to provide your dog some shade while outside. There is mesh in the middle for airflow and it is foldable and portable so you can take your dog on outdoor adventures. Its elevated 7.5” off the ground and can hold up to 77 lbs.
- This bed is easy to put together when you first get it and unfolds in less than 30 seconds
- The canopy provides shade for dogs preventing overheating
- This bed is easy to take on camping trips
- The Pawhut Cot with Canopy is not for bigger dogs
- The fabric of the bed may stain easily
Gen7Pets Cool Air Trailblazer Pet Cot
This Gen7Pets innovative outdoor bed is truly unique. It comes in two sizes, one size handles dogs up to 60 lbs and a larger size can handle dogs up to 90 lbs. It has a rust-resistant steel frame that is made of one continuous piece instead of 4 legs. The fabric double-stitched fabric prevents ripping, and the mesh keeps your dog cool and drains rainwater off the bed. It is also designed for easy traveling for your dog’s adventures.
- This bed has a slight elevation off the ground which is great for dogs with joint issues
- The bed has a truly innovative design which separates it from the competition
- The design makes it easy to take to many different places
- Larger dogs may not be able to use this bed
OUBAO Pet Tent Portable Folding Dog
This fun looking outdoor pet bed looks like your standard portable tent. Not only does it keep the sun off your pet, it looks great and is water-resistant. Easy to assemble, and perfect for small dogs, it’s also a conversation piece.
- This portable dog house is water-resistant
- Is easy to assemble
- A good purchase for small dogs
- Only for small dogs, or puppies
- There is no flap in the front to keep insects out
- It is flimsy and may not last a long time
Coolaroo Elevated Cooling Pet Bed
If you’re looking for an inexpensive option with just the basics and no bells and whistles, then this Original Elevated Cooling Pet Bed by Coolaroo may be the right choice for you. The bed can hold a maximum of 150 lbs, so it is appropriate for large dogs, while some of the other options cannot. It’s breathable mesh fabric and elevates your pet over 7 inches off the ground. It is quite literally a smaller version of a simple cot for humans, but it is instead for your pet. It is easy to assemble with the included screws and a hex tool.
- This cot bed can hold up to 150 lbs
- The mesh fabric of the bed is breathable and easy to clean
- Large bed is good for Golden Retriever sized dogs
- The height will not be good for dogs with joint issues
- This pet bed does not have a canopy for weather protection
- This bed does not fold, which makes taking it on travels difficult
Kuranda Aluminum Outdoor Dog Bed
This Kuranda outdoor pet bed is nearly indestructible. It comes in multiple sizes from mini all the way up to extra extra large. All sizes can withstand up to 250 lbs, so all dogs can use this bed. This bed offers seven inches of elevation and is lightweight, chew-proof aluminum. The fabric is a heavy-duty vinyl that will hold up to dogs that like to dig their nails into the bed. Also, unlike other beds, the Kuranda Aluminum Outdoor Dog Bed comes with a 1-year warranty.
- This Kuranda Dog Bed is nearly indestructible
- This bed can hold up to 250 lbs and comes in multiple sizes
- The bed is chew proof and made from heavy-duty material
- The Kuranda bed comes with a 1 year warranty
- The heavy-duty vinyl fabric may get a little too warm in the sun
- It does not fold, which can make the larger sizes less portable
Pawhut Elevated Dog Bed/Pet Cot
This is the second Pawhut item that made it to the best pet bed list, which speaks to the high quality of their outdoor dog beds. This bed, unlike their canopy bed, comes in 3 different sizes and comes in either red or blue. The mesh material is supportive while keeping your dog cool in hot weather. The material is also resistant to mold and mildew. The elevated bed keeps dirt and insects off your pet.
- This Pawhut Pet Cot comes in 3 different sizes
- The mesh will keep your dog cool and it is resistant to mold and mildew
- Elevated bed keeps your dog out of the dirt
- This bed does not fold, which can make transporting it difficult
- Customers have complained that it is a 2-person job to assemble the bed
We have chosen two beds as the best outdoor dog beds. We felt it was important to choose a dog bed for smaller dogs and a separate choice for larger dog breeds, since the two have distinctly different needs. For small and medium dogs, we picked the Gen7Pets Cool Air Trailblazer Pet Cot.
There is no denying that the innovation of this design brings a lot to the table for the owners of smaller dogs. The low height of the elevation keeps smaller dogs happy and it can handle up to 90 lbs. The continuous rust-resistant steel frame makes this bed durable and the design of the mesh is helpful for both keeping your dog cool and preventing water from collecting on the bed. It is also easy to take on camping and adventures so that your dog can tag along.
For large dogs, the choice for the best outdoor dog bed is the Kuranda Aluminum Outdoor Dog Bed. The heavy-duty vinyl material and sturdy lightweight aluminum frame is exactly what owners of large dog breeds need. It is durable enough to withstand even the most destructive pets. The fact the bed can hold up to 250 lbs and comes with a 1 year warranty also makes it an excellent choice. The Kuranda bed may be one of the more expensive choices, but with the superb customer service and the warranty, it is sure to be a worthy investment.
Both Gen7Pets and Kuranda are known for the fantastic customer service, so no matter which outdoor dog bed you choose (depending on the size of your dog), we are confident you will be highly satisfied with your purchase. Your dog will also be happy as they lazily lay in the warm sun as butterflies fly past their snoozing, adorable faces.
Last update on 2021-06-18 at 04:36 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API