Accidents happen. When spills land on the carpet, rugs, furniture or other upholstery, sometimes hot, soapy water just does not do the trick. Thankfully, there are many cleaning options, from using carpet cleaning products, to carpet cleaning machines, or even hiring a professional. But, if you’re dealing with a few, stubborn stains, then you need one of the best stain removers available on the market to ensure that you restore your item back to tip-top shape.
We reviewed the market to make it a little easier for you to pick the best stain remover the first time, without wasting your money on ineffective trial and errors. And, at the end of this article, we will include a “best stain remover” verdict.
There are many products out there, so it can be a little confusing. Each product has different strengths and weaknesses. So, whether you’re dealing with old or new stains, small or large carpet areas, the dreaded tough coffee or wine stain, stains with odors, or just need a good pet-friendly stain remover with a sanitizing element, this review will help you decide.
What We Found
The products we included all have great consumer reviews, but not all guarantee results. Some products require the use of a carpet-cleaning machine, while others are better for spot cleaning. Understand coffee and red wine stains are tough to remove because they soak quickly into the carpet. The key is to work quickly to remove as much as the stain as possible before it sets in. Dried stains are harder to clean than fresh ones. If you have access to a wet/dry vacuum to clean an initial spill, use it. Then decide on and use your carpet stain remover. Reapply as needed.
What Is Stain Remover?
The best stain remover is a chemical product that when applied to carpet, rugs, soft surfaces and other heavily trafficked areas in the home, will clean, remove stains, and renew any soiled areas.
What Does a Stain Remover Do?
A stain remover will chemically remove a stain or spot left by another substance; typically in carpeted areas.
How Does a Stain Remover Work?
Stain removers contain various kinds of chemical solvents. These chemical solvents work to loosen, dissolve, lift and resolve stains from carpets and fabrics.
Where Can You Buy Them?
You can buy these products at many regular department and grocery stores, or do the easiest thing and purchase the best stain remover for you off Amazon.com so you have it at the ready when that staining accident invariably happens.
How Should They Be Applied?
It depends on the chemical solvents used. Stain removers will apply directly to any stained area, with water or be used in conjunction with a carpet-cleaning machine. It’s important to read the product specifications of all stain removal products, as each will apply differently.
How We Reviewed
We reviewed the following products based on their features, their pros and cons, and effectiveness. The list of selected best stain removers came from careful research based on different models of carpet cleaners to provide an unbiased “best of” list. The highlighted pros and cons includes important information gathered from consumer product reviews.
Folex Carpet Spot Remover
- Excellent for cleaning any color fast carpet or material that can be safely dampened with...
- Carpet spot removers instant size 32 ounces Safely removes tough spots and stains from...
- No rinsing, no vacuuming or waiting to see results!
Folex will remove any spot and stain from any colorfast carpet or material that can allow for dampening with water. Folex works without using solvents or other hazardous chemicals. It is non-ionic (neither a positive/negative charge) so it will not attract dust or dirt back to the cleaned area. This product does not contain oily solvents, or leave a soapy residue, so spots will not come back.
Folex works best on new stains. It’s a child and pet-friendly product, so if you’re worried about harmful chemicals in your home, this may be the right choice for you. Keep in mind, this product will remove stains without deodorizing benefit.
- Non-toxic so safe for children and pets
- Does not remove the factory applied stain resistant treatment
- Requires no ventilation
- May not deodorize lingering smells, like pet urine
- May not completely remove old stains that have changed the color of your carpet
- Should not apply to any carpet or material with water damage
Resolve Carpet Spot & Stain Remover
- #1 carpet stain remover* (*Based on Nielsen data).
- Carpet traffic lane cleaner & pretreatment spray.
- Effective against most food & grease-based stains.
Resolve Carpet Spot & Stain Remover will lift out many tough stains and odors from carpets and rugs. It permanently removes stains and helps keep the stain from reappearing. Resolve works on a wide variety of stains and leaves your carpet conditioned and with fragrance. It will remove: tomato sauce, salad dressing, dirty motor oil, vegetable oil, make-up, red wine, food grease, pet stains, coffee, mud, dirt, cola, tea, grass, fruit juice and more.
Resolve is a standard and affordable spot and stain remover. It works well on oil-based stains that require the use of harsh chemicals and sulfates, so if you have children and pets, you shouldn’t use it. However, if you need a general spot cleaner to remove tough oil-based stains, this product may right for you.
- Helps remove spots and stains from most carpets
- Ingredients safely lighten stains
- Easy-to-use trigger design
- Contains sulfates and other harsh chemicals
- Doesn’t work as well on older stains
- Strong fragrance
Spot Shot Professional Carpet Stain Remover
- Foaming stain remover instantly powers out carpet stains
- Neutralizes odors
- Works great on old stains, pet stains and more
Spot Shot Professional Carpet Stain Removes new and old stains, without rubbing, scrubbing or vacuuming. It specializes in the removal of both old and new, oil-based and water-based stains, including grease, wine, and pet stains. It works regardless of how long the stain has been around. It will clean carpet stains and remove smelly pet odors.
Spot Shot has a wide range of use, removing both oil-based and water-based stains. Another benefit is deodorizing. Individuals with sulfite allergy should stay clear.
- Removes both old and new stains
- Will clean and remove pet odors
- Prevents stains from returning
- Contains sulfites
- May leave a residue upon drying
- The aerosol dispenser preferable to the trigger spray
OxiClean Carpet & Area Rug Stain Remover
- Remove even tough stains with OxiClean Carpet & Area Rug Stain Remover.
- special oxygenation process works together with OxiClean
OxiClean Carpet & Area Rug Pet Stain Remover uses a hydrogen peroxide solution to deep clean and deodorize your carpet. It will remove tough stains, including vomit, urine, feces and more. While listed for use on pet stains, it may not entirely remove all traces of pet urine; especially from carpet padding.
This is a well-rounded product that cleans, deodorizes and removes pet stains. It contains hydrogen peroxide so it could lighten and clean a little too well and leave your surrounding carpet looking darker than the cleaned spot. It’s more expensive than other stain remover products, but if you need a deep cleaning stain remover, this may be the one for you.
- Environmentally safe
- Gentle on fabrics and skin
- Deep cleans carpet fibers
- Tough, older stains may need multiple applications
- May do its job too well, leaving the clean area brighter than surrounding carpet
- Keep out of reach of children
Arm & Hammer Carpet Cleaner
- Formulated to neutralize pet odors and leave a fresh scent
- Targets pet stains and odors on carpet, rugs, and upholstery
- Neutralizes odors with Arm & Hammer baking soda
Arm & Hammer Carpet Cleaner is a stain remover product great for cleaning large carpet areas, but it also removes tough stains on rugs and upholstery. It’s best in a carpet cleaning.
If you can get your hands on a carpet cleaning machine, this product works really well for large areas. It will remove tough stains and neutralize odors, leaving behind a pleasant scent. But, if you need to spot clean in small areas, this product may not be for you.
- Deep cleans
- Neutralizes odors with baking soda
- Has a light, fresh scent
- Used with carpet cleaning machines
- Contains hydrogen peroxide and sulfates
- Keep away from children, pets
Weiman Carpet Cleaner
- SAFE - Harmless for kids and pets
- DEODORIZE - Long term odor control with regular use
- DEEP CLEANING - Sinks deep in fibers of carpet or rugs
This is a great product for households with children and pets. It contains no harsh chemicals. It’s bleach free and contains no VOC’s. It will remove pet stains, oil, mud, grease, ink, coffee, wine, soda and food, on all carpet types; and neutralizes and deodorizes odor, especially with regular use.
This product is child and pet-friendly, and it’ll remove and deodorize new pet stains. Doesn’t work well on set-in stains. If you’re dealing with a new pet stain, this is your product.
- Safe for all
- Contains no phosphates, VOCs or solvents
- Recommended for all carpet types
- Doesn’t work well on older stains
- If stain has reached underlying padding, stain may reappear
- May require multiple applications
Woolite Advanced Stain & Odor Remover
- Kills 99. 9% of bacteria on soft surfaces (Kills 99. 9% of Enterobacter aerogenes (ATCC...
- Permanently removes tough pet stains.
- Penetrates to eliminate pet odors at their source.
Woolite Advanced Stain & Odor Remover is an all-in-one formula that cleans, sanitizes, deodorizes and eliminates allergens on soft surfaces, good for any room of your home. While it sanitizes, it removes dirt, stains and bacteria. It also removes pollen, pet dander and dust mite matter.
This product is a great all-in-one stain remover great for sanitizing, deodorizing and removing allergens.
- Sanitizing product. Kills 99.9% of bacteria on soft surfaces
- Pet safe
- Strong fragrance
- May require multiple applications
- Not as strong as other spot cleaners
BISSELL Professional Power Shot Spot and Stain Remover
- Professional Power Shot Oxy removes tough, set-in stains like red wine, pet soils, coffee,...
- Outcleans the leading aerosol spot cleaner on tough stains like red wine, grape juice, and...
- Eco-friendly formula and packaging—biodegradable detergent, recyclable package, and...
Bissel Professional Power Shot Spot and Stain Remover is an aerosol spray designed for tough, set-in stains like red wine, pet soil, coffee and motor oil. It has an ECO-friendly formula and uses no VOCs.
This is a great, eco-friendly product for small carpeted areas and spot cleaning.
- Environmentally friendly, with no-VOCs
- Removes tough, set-in stains like red wine, pet soil, coffee, motor oil
- Good for a small spot treatment
- Depletes quickly
- May require multiple applications
- Strong fragrance
Hoover Stain Remover
- LOOSENS AND LIFTS PET STAINS: For easier removal of tough messes
- ENZYMATIC CLEANING INGREDIENTS: Helps break down pet messes and deodorize your carpets...
- CONTINUES TO WORK: Helps remove any traces of spots and stains, even after you're done...
Hoover Stain Remover is an aerosol spray that treats difficult spots and stains on carpet. For best results, treat stains quickly before they dry.
This is a great product for small carpeted areas and spot treatments.
- Professional-strength formula
- Works quickly on tough stains
- Safe to use on carpeting and rugs
- Depletes quickly
- Tough, older stains need multiple applications
Zep Advanced Oxy Carpet Stain Remover
- PROFESSIONAL FORMULA: reaches deep into carpets and upholstery to quickly remove old and...
- ELIMINATES STAINS FROM: pets, food, grease, oil, dirt & drinks
- EASY TO USE: Just spray and blot the mess away
Zep Advanced Oxy is a carpet and upholstery stain remover for stains such as fruit juice, wine, blood, food stains, urine, and dirt. It applies without scrubbing or blotting; just spray and the formula removes stains and odors on most carpets and fabrics.
This product works well, especially for removing organic stains. It neutralizes odors and applies easily.
- Works on most stains without scrubbing
- Neutralizes tough odors
- For use on most carpet, upholstery, kitchen and household surfaces
- Not environmentally friendly
- Not for use on silk, leather, natural stone or marble
- Keep out of reach of children & pets
For the affordability and ability to remove new and older stains, of all those we reviewed our favorite best stain remover overall is the Spot Shot Professional Carpet Stain Remover. It works well for oil-based and water-based stains, while deodorizing. It has both smaller and larger carpet area application, and can handle multiple applications. It simply is the best stain remover product on the list.
You may consider other products on our best stain remover list for sanitizing, removing allergens, treating pet stains and general carpet cleaning benefits, based on how each might suit your specific needs.
Last update on 2021-03-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API