Many dog breeds love the outdoors, and sometimes nothing can be more relaxing than snoozing while the birds are chirping and the breeze is softly blowing through the trees. Some dogs love taking a relaxing nap outside. This is why getting an outdoor dog bed is a great option for your pet. The best outdoor dog beds are made from breathable fabrics and are elevated. The elevation keeps insects and dirt off your dog and protects them from pavement or concrete that can get too hot in the summer.
1. What Is an Outdoor Dog Bed?
An outdoor dog bed is designed to provide a safe and comfortable place for your dog to sleep outside. They are built to handle weather conditions, while an indoor bed would quickly fall apart and not hold up in the weather.
2. Why Is an Elevated Bed Important For Outside?
There are several reasons why you should make sure the outdoor bed you’re purchasing for your dog is elevated. It keeps your dog out of the dirt, which keeps them cleaner. It keeps them off the concrete or pavement which can get dangerous hot in the summer months. It also keeps insects off your pet too. There are places where fire ants are a problem and you certainly do not want your dog exposed to them if at all possible. Some elevated beds are also designed to help dogs with joint issues.
3. Do They Make Outdoor Dog Beds Portable?
Yes! Some people love taking their dogs camping with them or take their dogs on a road trip. Purchasing an outdoor dog bed that is portable is an important feature for some. They design some outdoor dog beds with the adventurer in mind.
4. Where Can You Buy an Outdoor Dog Bed?
Large pet retail chains like PetSmart and Petco could carry outdoor dog beds. They are also available on Amazon and other online retailers.
How We Reviewed
Many hours were spent reviewing outdoor dog beds to create this unbiased list of the best models available. We looked at the features, price, warranty, and the pros and cons of each to bring you the top outdoor dog beds on the market.
Overall Price Range
Outdoor dog beds can range anywhere from $ to $, depending on the construction and the features. Beds that are like cots are more expensive than beds that just lay on the ground. Some beds have a canopy and some fold up for portability. There are some also constructed from aluminum which also raises the price.
What We Reviewed
- Furhaven Pet NAP Outdoor Dog Bed
- PawHut Elevated Cooling Dog Bed Cot with Canopy
- Gen7Pets Cool Air Trailblazer Pet Cot
- Etna Waterproof Pet Retreat Portable Dog House
- AmazonBasics Elevated Cooling Pet Bed
- Kuranda Aluminum Outdoor Dog Bed
- Pawhut Elevated Dog Bed/Pet Cot
- PERFECT FOR CUDDLING: The Furhaven Deluxe Traditional Mattress Pet Dog Bed features an...
- SLEEP SURFACE: The mattress cover is made from durable polycanvas fabric with...
- EASY ON JOINTS: The egg-crate foam base helps to evenly distribute body weight, soothe...
This outdoor dog bed lies on the ground and is fluffy, soft and comfortable for your dog. It’s a fiber pillow constructed bed. It has a water-resistant base which is important. It also has a removable zippered cover for easy cleaning. This bed would not hold up in all types of weather, but would be good for an outdoor shelter or your garage.
The Furhaven Pet NAP Outdoor Dog Bed can be found on Amazon for around $
- ELEVATED AIRFLOW: An elevated dog bed frame, cot-style design lifts your pet more than 9...
- BREATHABLE FABRIC: The bed’s durable mesh fabric adds breathability to help keep your...
- DURABLE DESIGN: The mesh fabric is held tightly in place by a lightweight yet strong...
This dog bed is a cot style bed with a canopy to provide your dog some shade while outside. There is mesh in the middle for airflow and it is foldable and portable so you can take your dog on outdoor adventures. Its elevated 7.5” off the ground and can hold up to 77 lbs.
The PawHut Elevated Cooling Dog Bed Cot with Canopy can be purchased on Amazon for around $.
This innovative outdoor bed is truly unique. It comes in two sizes, one size handles dogs up to 60 lbs and a larger size can handle dogs up to 90 lbs. It has a rust-resistant steel frame that is make of one continuous piece instead of 4 legs. The fabric is double stitched to prevent ripping, and the mesh is designed to keep your dog cool and drain rainwater off the bed. It is also designed for easy traveling for your dog’s adventures.
The Gen7Pets Cool Air Trailblazer Pet Cot can be purchased on Amazon for around $.
- Durable cot keeps pets elevated off the the ground structured cover protects pets from the...
- Cot and cover are made water-resistant
- Frame is metal withstand all elements, Breathable Mesh Floor and Back
This outdoor dog option is an elevated portable dog house. It has a mesh floor that is designed like a cot and made from lightweight, tent-like fabric. It’s kept clean by hand washing and it has a roof to protect your dog from the weather. As mentioned, it’s also elevated to keep your dog off the ground. The material is water-resistant.
The Etna Waterproof Pet Retreat Portable Dog House can be purchased on Amazon for around $.
- Breathable mesh fabric helps keep pets cool by allowing air to flow
- Elevates pets more than 7 inches off the ground
- Easy to clean - spray down or machine wash the durable mesh fabric
If you’re looking for an inexpensive option with just the basics and no bells and whistles, then this AmazonBasics Elevated Cooling Pet Bed may be the right choice for you. The bed can hold a maximum of 150 lbs, so it can be used for large dogs, while some of the other options cannot. It’s made from breathable mesh fabric and elevates your pet over 7 inches off the ground. It is quite literally a smaller version of a simple cot make for humans, but it is instead made for your pet. It is easy to assemble with screws and a hex tool that is included.
The AmazonBasics Elevated Cooling Pet Bed can be found on Amazon for around $.
- Patented, CHEWPROOF HIGH STRENGTH, lightweight aircraft grade aluminum frame supports up...
- Elevated/Raised orthopedic design to keep your dog dry, cool, and comfortable indoors and...
- Easy to Clean, guaranteed to stand up to repeated cleaning.
This is one of the most expensive beds on the outdoor pet bed market, but it is also nearly indestructible. In comes in multiple sizes from mini all the way up to extra extra large. All sizes can withstand up to 250 lbs, so all dogs can use this bed. It is raised 7 inches off the ground. The bed is made from lightweight, chew proof aluminum. The fabric is a heavy-duty vinyl that will hold up to dogs that like to dig their nails into the bed. Also, unlike other beds, the Kuranda Aluminum Outdoor Dog Bed comes with a 1 year warranty and is known for their amazing customer service when people have questions or issues.
The Kuranda Aluminum Outdoor Dog Bed can be purchased on Amazon for around $
- EVERYDAY USE: Great for cats or dogs, this elevated dog bed frame bed is ideal for indoor,...
- FULL BODY COMFORT: Elevates pets 7 inches off the ground for coolness and comfort for...
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND BREATHABLE: Lightweight yet sturdy steel frame with a breathable mesh cot...
This is the second Pawhut item that made it to the best pet bed list, which speaks to the high quality of their outdoor dog beds. This bed, unlike their canopy bed, comes in 3 different sizes and comes in either red or blue. The mesh material is supportive, while keeping your dog cool in hot weather. The material is also resistant to mold and mildew. The bed is elevated to keep dirt and insects off your pet. Overall people are very satisfied with this dog cot.
The Pawhut Elevated Dog Bed/Pet Cot can be purchased on Amazon for around $ - $ depending on the size you get.
We have chosen two beds as the best outdoor dog beds. We felt it was important to choose a dog bed for smaller dogs and a separate choice for larger dog breeds, since the two have distinctly different needs. For small and medium dogs, we picked the Gen7Pets Cool Air Trailblazer Pet Cot. There is no denying that the innovation of this design brings a lot to the table for the owners of smaller dogs. The low height of the elevation keeps smaller dogs happy and it can handle up to 90 lbs. The continuous rust resistant steel frame makes this bed durable and the design of the mesh is helpful for both keeping your dog cool and preventing water from collecting on the bed. It is also easy to take on camping and adventures so that your dog can tag along.
For large dogs, the choice for the best outdoor dog bed is the Kuranda Aluminum Outdoor Dog Bed. The heavy-duty vinyl material and sturdy lightweight aluminum frame is exactly what owners of large dog breeds need. It is durable enough to withstand even the most destructive pets. The fact the bed can hold up to 250 lbs and comes with a 1 year warranty also makes it an excellent choice. The Kuranda bed may be one of the more expensive choices, but with the superb customer service and the warranty, it is sure to be a worthy investment.
Both Gen7Pets and Kuranda are known for the fantastic customer service, so no matter which outdoor dog bed you choose (depending on the size of your dog), we are confident you will be highly satisfied with your purchase. Your dog will also be happy as they lazily lay in the warm sun as butterflies fly past their snoozing, adorable faces.