Many dog breeds love the outdoors, and sometimes nothing can be more relaxing than snoozing while the birds are chirping and the breeze is softly blowing through the trees. Some dogs love taking a relaxing nap outside. This is why getting an outdoor dog bed is a great option for your pet. The best outdoor dog beds are made from breathable fabrics and are elevated. The elevation keeps insects and dirt off your dog and protects them from pavement or concrete that can get too hot in the summer.
1. What Is an Outdoor Dog Bed?
An outdoor dog bed is designed to provide a safe and comfortable place for your dog to sleep outside. They are built to handle weather conditions, while an indoor bed would quickly fall apart and not hold up in the weather.
2. Why Is an Elevated Bed Important For Outside?
There are several reasons why you should make sure the outdoor bed you’re purchasing for your dog is elevated. It keeps your dog out of the dirt, which keeps them cleaner. It keeps them off the concrete or pavement which can get dangerous hot in the summer months. It also keeps insects off your pet too. There are places where fire ants are a problem and you certainly do not want your dog exposed to them if at all possible. Some elevated beds are also designed to help dogs with joint issues.
3. Do They Make Outdoor Dog Beds Portable?
Yes! Some people love taking their dogs camping with them or take their dogs on a road trip. Purchasing an outdoor dog bed that is portable is an important feature for some. They design some outdoor dog beds with the adventurer in mind.
4. Where Can You Buy an Outdoor Dog Bed?
Large pet retail chains like PetSmart and Petco could carry outdoor dog beds. They are also available on Amazon and other online retailers.
How We Reviewed
Many hours were spent reviewing outdoor dog beds to create this unbiased list of the best models available. We looked at the features, warranty, and the pros and cons of each to bring you the top outdoor dog beds on the market.
Furhaven Pet NAP Outdoor Dog Bed
- DESIGNED FOR PETS: The classic pet bed mattress design gives both dogs and cats plenty of...
- WATER-RESISTANT: Perfect for both indoor and outdoor use, the sleep surface features...
- EASY ON JOINTS: The egg crate orthopedic foam mattress helps distribute body weight,...
This outdoor dog bed lies on the ground and is fluffy, soft and comfortable for your dog. It’s a fiber pillow constructed bed. It has a water-resistant base which is important. It also has a removable zippered cover for easy cleaning. This bed would not hold up in all types of weather, but would be good for an outdoor shelter or your garage.
- This bed is a fiber pillow type bed, which is built for comfort
- The Furhaven Pet Bed has a water-resistant base
- The bed has a zippered cover for easy cleaning
- This bed’s construction would not hold up well in all types of weather
PawHut Elevated Cooling Dog Bed Cot with Canopy
- Elevated Airflow: An elevated dog bed frame, cot-style design lifts your pet more than 9...
- Breathable Fabric: The bed’s durable mesh fabric adds breathability to help keep your...
- Durable Design: The mesh fabric is held tightly in place by a lightweight yet strong...
This dog bed is a cot style bed with a canopy to provide your dog some shade while outside. There is mesh in the middle for airflow and it is foldable and portable so you can take your dog on outdoor adventures. Its elevated 7.5” off the ground and can hold up to 77 lbs.
- This bed is easy to put together when you first get it and unfolds in less than 30 seconds
- The canopy provides shade for dogs that get overheated easily
- This bed is easy to take on camping trips
- The Pawhut Cot with Canopy is not designed for bigger dogs
- The fabric of the bed may stain easily
Gen7Pets Cool Air Trailblazer Pet Cot
No products found.
This innovative outdoor bed is truly unique. It comes in two sizes, one size handles dogs up to 60 lbs and a larger size can handle dogs up to 90 lbs. It has a rust-resistant steel frame that is make of one continuous piece instead of 4 legs. The fabric is double stitched to prevent ripping, and the mesh is designed to keep your dog cool and drain rainwater off the bed. It is also designed for easy traveling for your dog’s adventures.
- This bed has a slight elevation off the ground which is great for dogs with joint issues
- The bed has a truly innovative design which separates it from the competition
- The design makes it easy to take to many different places
- Larger dogs may not be able to use this bed
Etna Waterproof Pet Retreat Portable Dog House
- GDM HOME SERIES
- You may return most new, unopened items within 14 days of delivery for a refund, minus a...
This outdoor dog option is an elevated portable dog house. It has a mesh floor that is designed like a cot and made from lightweight, tent-like fabric. It’s kept clean by hand washing and it has a roof to protect your dog from the weather. As mentioned, it’s also elevated to keep your dog off the ground. The material is water-resistant.
- This portable dog house is water
- The Etna Dog House is easy to assemble
- A good purchase for small dogs
- It is only designed to withstand up to 20 lbs
- There is no flap in the front to keep insects out
- Mesh bottom does not cover the entire bottom of the bed
- It is flimsy and may not last a long time
AmazonBasics Elevated Cooling Pet Bed
- Breathable mesh fabric helps keep pets cool by allowing air to flow
- Elevates pets more than 7 inches off the ground
- Easy to clean - spray down or machine wash the durable mesh fabric
If you’re looking for an inexpensive option with just the basics and no bells and whistles, then this AmazonBasics Elevated Cooling Pet Bed may be the right choice for you. The bed can hold a maximum of 150 lbs, so it can be used for large dogs, while some of the other options cannot. It’s made from breathable mesh fabric and elevates your pet over 7 inches off the ground. It is quite literally a smaller version of a simple cot make for humans, but it is instead made for your pet. It is easy to assemble with screws and a hex tool that is included.
- The AmazonBasics Pet Bed is an inexpensive option
- This cot bed can hold up to 150 lbs
- The mesh fabric of the bed is breathable and easy to clean
- The height will not be good for dogs with joint issues
- This pet bed does not have a canopy for weather protection
- This bed does not fold, which makes taking it on travels difficult
Kuranda Aluminum Outdoor Dog Bed
No products found.
This is one of the most expensive beds on the outdoor pet bed market, but it is also nearly indestructible. In comes in multiple sizes from mini all the way up to extra extra large. All sizes can withstand up to 250 lbs, so all dogs can use this bed. It is raised 7 inches off the ground. The bed is made from lightweight, chew proof aluminum. The fabric is a heavy-duty vinyl that will hold up to dogs that like to dig their nails into the bed. Also, unlike other beds, the Kuranda Aluminum Outdoor Dog Bed comes with a 1 year warranty and is known for their amazing customer service when people have questions or issues.
- This Kuranda Dog Bed is nearly indestructible
- This bed can hold up to 250 lbs and comes in multiple sizes
- The bed is chew proof and made from heavy-duty material
- The Kuranda bed comes with a 1 year warranty
- The Kuranda Dog Bed is a very expensive bed compared to most dog beds
- The heavy-duty vinyl fabric has been known to get a little too warm in the sun
- It does not fold, which can make the larger sizes less portable
Pawhut Elevated Dog Bed/Pet Cot
- EVERYDAY USE: Great for cats or dogs, this elevated dog bed frame bed is ideal for indoor,...
- FULL BODY COMFORT: Elevates pets 7 inches off the ground for coolness and comfort for...
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND BREATHABLE: Lightweight yet sturdy steel frame with a breathable mesh cot...
This is the second Pawhut item that made it to the best pet bed list, which speaks to the high quality of their outdoor dog beds. This bed, unlike their canopy bed, comes in 3 different sizes and comes in either red or blue. The mesh material is supportive, while keeping your dog cool in hot weather. The material is also resistant to mold and mildew. The bed is elevated to keep dirt and insects off your pet. Overall people are very satisfied with this dog cot.
- This Pawhut Pet Cot comes in 3 different sizes
- The mesh will keep your dog cool and it is resistant to mold and mildew
- The bed is elevated to keep insects and dirt off your dog
- This bed does not fold, which can make transporting it difficult
- Customers have complained that it is a 2-person job to assemble the bed
We have chosen two beds as the best outdoor dog beds. We felt it was important to choose a dog bed for smaller dogs and a separate choice for larger dog breeds, since the two have distinctly different needs. For small and medium dogs, we picked the Gen7Pets Cool Air Trailblazer Pet Cot. There is no denying that the innovation of this design brings a lot to the table for the owners of smaller dogs. The low height of the elevation keeps smaller dogs happy and it can handle up to 90 lbs. The continuous rust resistant steel frame makes this bed durable and the design of the mesh is helpful for both keeping your dog cool and preventing water from collecting on the bed. It is also easy to take on camping and adventures so that your dog can tag along.
For large dogs, the choice for the best outdoor dog bed is the Kuranda Aluminum Outdoor Dog Bed. The heavy-duty vinyl material and sturdy lightweight aluminum frame is exactly what owners of large dog breeds need. It is durable enough to withstand even the most destructive pets. The fact the bed can hold up to 250 lbs and comes with a 1 year warranty also makes it an excellent choice. The Kuranda bed may be one of the more expensive choices, but with the superb customer service and the warranty, it is sure to be a worthy investment.
Both Gen7Pets and Kuranda are known for the fantastic customer service, so no matter which outdoor dog bed you choose (depending on the size of your dog), we are confident you will be highly satisfied with your purchase. Your dog will also be happy as they lazily lay in the warm sun as butterflies fly past their snoozing, adorable faces.
Last update on 2023-06-02 at 13:07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API